Accessible Page Links




Page Tools

Secondary Navigation

Main page Content

History

Some twenty years before the present Greenmount School was established in 1901 a successful attempt was made to found a school in the District. The school was established by James Doonan and Edward Moran who had large families going without education. This Provisional School being five and a half miles from town was not considered the first ‘Greenmount’ School but must be regarded as the forerunner.

Mr Daniel Brodie was considered the moving spirit behind the School and application was made on July 31, 1900. There were 17 prospective pupils. The land to be used consisted of two acres which had been donated by Mr A Campbell - a member of the Building Committee. The name Greenmount was not favoured by the Departmental officials but was never changed.

The school which consisted of a room 25 feet x 16 feet with 8’6” verandahs on two sides was opened on September 19, 1901 by the Hon. John Murray MLA, Minister for Public Construction. The first teacher appointed to Greenmount was Mr Arthur Spencer who appears to have been a successful and popular teacher. In fact when the new school was built in town in 1911 some years after he left, residents requested by letter and petition he return to take up this new post

The school was changed to its present site in April, 1911 after the townspeople requested a more commodious school located in the township. Two acres of land part of Portions of 57 and 59 were bought at a cost of 30 pounds an acre. A new school was built and the old school was to be converted into the School Residence.

In March 1922 the committee began negotiations to purchase the adjoining area of land. In 1930, the land (four acres) was finally acquired.

Though the school has not grown since, it holds a proud record in the area, fostering the development of some of Toowoomba’s, Queensland’s and Australia’s best sportsmen as well as sending off a number of its finest sons to defend their country in World Wars.

Enrolments have varied little through the years. 34 children were enrolled in 1901. In 2013 we currently have 35 students enrolled. This does not in any way detract from the school. It holds a fine record in the area with past and present pupils proudly wearing the school colours.